Thursday, August 31, 2006

Dealing with Anger and Making Progress

by B.F.


An inmate in federal prison, B. F. is one of the few people allowed to pursue higher education. He wrote this to me recently... Ven. Chodron

A few days ago, I was in my business management class, getting ready to take the final exam, when the woman next to me pointed out another person sitting in front of us, and said, "During the mid-term a few weeks ago, I saw her cheating, using some notes she had. That makes me so mad! Does it make you as mad as it makes me?"

"That's on her," I replied. "If I let every person sitting in the classroom 'make me mad,' I wouldn't have any time to learn anything. She's just cheating herself anyway." I paused and then continued, "After twelve years of being incarcerated, very little actually makes me really mad. I try not to give other people the power to make me mad. I'm the one who makes myself mad when I give someone else that power."

There was much more to the discussion, but I tried to point out, "Don't let things that other people do make you angry, especially if they aren't directed at you or don't an influence on your life. Yeah, the other girl cheated. So? Karma takes all into account, so the other person was creating the cause for her own unpleasant results."

The point of this story? I realized how much I've changed due to the Dharma.

Source

1 comment:

cwango said...

well..i don't exactly know the question asked so I can't be definite on my views.

but as far as I'm concerned. there's always many sides to a story and hence different answers to the same questions.

a same woman can be beautiful to a man but ugly to another. just like a religion can be a bless to another, while it's considered devil by another. The subject is still the same, but different interpretation yield different responds.

put yourself in his shoe perhaps, and you can see your friends correct answer